The Ideal Snack
Who doesn’t love a delicious, salty snack for movie night? Your mind may go straight to popcorn, but sometimes popcorn is just not exciting enough. This is where cheese puffs come in as your ideal movie night snack. Cheese puffs are cheesy, salty, and crunchy. What else could you ask for? It may seem like the easy answer is just going to the store and buying some cheese puffs, but I am going to show you just how simple making them can actually be. Making cheese puffs homemade is cheaper, more fun, more satisfying, and probably more delicious too (if you follow my recipe well).
The Necessary Ingredients
For 36 puffs you will need:
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 ½ teaspoons dry mustard
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 ½ cups (about 6 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
That is it! You probably have all these ingredients in your kitchen already… I told you it was simple.
Are you a cheese lover? Read How to Spice up Kraft Mac and Cheese to Make It Taste Better now!
The Secret Method
Follow this secret method for the perfect cheese puffs. It should only take around 45 min total.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or nonstick baking mats.
- In a medium-size heavy saucepan, combine 1 cup water, the butter and salt, and bring to a boil. Turn off heat and add flour. Mix with a wooden spoon until dough starts to pull away from sides of pan and form a lump. Set aside, without stirring, 5 minutes.
- Add eggs 1 at a time, mixing well after each addition. With each addition, dough will look glossy and slick at first; let it come together before adding next egg. Mix in mustard, cayenne and cheese. Dough will be quite loose and sticky.
- Scoop up a heaping teaspoon of dough and use another spoon to scrape it onto lined pan; it should form a mound about an inch in diameter. Alternatively, use a pastry bag or thick plastic bag with one corner cut off, to pipe small mounds onto pan. Repeat with remaining dough, leaving 1/2 inch between puffs.
- Bake until puffy and golden, about 25 minutes, rotating pans halfway through. Remove from oven and serve immediately, or turn oven off and open door slightly to keep puffs warm up to 1 hour.
Choose Your Movie & Enjoy!
Now that you have your fresh cheese puffs, it is time to choose a movie! Once you have your movie going, you are finally ready to start snacking. Remember to pace yourself with the cheese puffs though, you have to make sure they last the whole movie! And finally, remember to enjoy each and every salty, delicious bite.