Just like French fries, baked steak fries are thick potato wedges baked to crispy perfection. Since steak fries are thicker as compared to French or shoestring fries, they need some extra finesse to achieve that ideal proportion between the soft and creamy center and crispy outside. According to many, oven-baked fries are much better than fried ones. If you are going on a date with your special someone, then oven baked steak fries can be a great side to your weeknight burger or delicious snacks to enjoy with your favorite sauce.
If you want to impress your date with your oven baking skills, then here is a simple recipe that can leave him/her speechless.
Follow This Baked Steak Fries Recipe
Ingredients for Steak Fries
- 4 medium size, around 2 pounds potatoes
- Cooking spray
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- Measuring spoons and cups
- A large size bowl
- Chef’s knife
- Thin and flat spatula
- Rimmed baking sheet
Instructions for Yummy Steak Fries
- Heat the Oven: Place a rack in the middle part of the oven and heat it to 400°F. Take a rimmed baking sheet, coat it with the cooking spray, and set it aside.
- Cut the potatoes: Wash the potatoes in running water and let them dry. Cut them lengthwise into half an inch thick wedges. If they are too long, cut them half crosswise in the middle.
- Add Seasoning: Place all the potatoes pieces in a large size bowl. Add garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt, and onion powder into it. Toss to coat the pieces with the seasoning. Add oil to the bowl and toss again to coat.
- Start Baking: Place all the potato pieces in a single layer on the rimmed baking sheet and start baking. Bake for 20 minutes. Use a flat and thin spatula to flip the potato wedges. Bake again for 15-20 minutes more until the potato pieces become golden-brown and tender.
- Serve: Sprinkle some kosher salt on the top of the wedges and serve the steak fries.
Choosing the Best Potatoes for Baked Fries
For classic French fries, russet potatoes work fine, but when it comes to oven-baked steak fries, nothing other than Yukon Gold potatoes can do. These potatoes have thin skin, which allows you to cut the potatoes into wedges without peeling them. When you bake them in the oven, they get a nice crisp texture that your date would love. Apart from that, the best thing about Yukon Gold potatoes is that they have sweet and tender flesh that becomes creamy when baked in the oven.
Make sure that the four potatoes you choose for making the steak fries are almost similar in shape and size. Longer potatoes are appropriate for making slender fries, while fatter potatoes are best for making plump shapes.
Tips to Make the Best Oven Baked Steak Fries
- Soaking the potatoes is a crucial step to make the crispiest steak fries. It helps in removing excess starch from the potato surface, due to which the potatoes do not darken excessively while baking and still become crispy. Soak the potato wedges for 1 hour to overnight for best results.
- Don’t miss spraying the baking sheet with cooking spray. Steak fries stick to the sheet even if it was oiled well.
- While cutting the wedge, ensure that they are thick and nice, as only then they will gain a soft fluffy inside.
How to Serve Baked Steak Fries
There are different ways to serve baked steak fries. Choose your favorite one to impress your date with your creativity. Honey mustard sauce is the best to go with oven baked steak fries, but also taste amazing with spicy ketchup, garlic aioli, horseradish mayo sauce, and nutty tahini dip. For dinner, you may pair them up with Philly cheesesteaks, pan-seared ribeye steaks, grilled swordfish steaks, pork kebabs, or Philly cheesesteak sliders.
What to Do with Leftover Steak Fries
If you happened to make a lot of fries that you and your date could not finish together, then you must be wondering what to do with these leftover fries. Don’t worry! There are two different ways to reheat them and enjoy them again.
One is the stovetop method. Heat a skillet, add fries to it and let them cook until all the fries are heated enough. Another method is the oven method. Preheat oven to 350°F, arrange fries on a baking sheet, and bake the steak fries just long enough to heat them.
Give A Healthy Dose of Taste to Your Date
Now that your date is coming, make these steak fries, and enjoy them together. Since the healthiest foods are not tasty, your date will be left speechless after knowing that these are baked not fried, hence they are healthy. When baked right, they are as tasty as their fried counterparts, without the extra oil and fat you want to escape all the time.